On a four-day trip, we'll camp for three nights on two of the islands on the Maine Island Trail. We'll explore the eastern and western sides Isle au Haut as well as the islands between Isle au Haut and the mainland.
Previous kayaking experience is preferred. You're probably a seasoned kayaker with some sea-kayakingunder your belt. The 4-day trip is suitable for active singles, couples and families with teenage children (age 14 and up). There'll be a maximum of four paddlers in the group.
Trips are offered every week from Memorial Day weekend thru Labor Day Weekend. Four-day trips are scheduled on Tuesdays and Fridays. Any other day, call to schedule. Check the Calendar before you reserve.
Food quality and variety is really high on our 'must have' list - see Sample Menu below. We'll do the cooking, though you're welcome to help out. If you have particular dietary requirements, let us know ahead of time and we'll do our best to accommodate you. Food will be locally sourced where possible and we'll do our best to cook you nutritious and mouthwatering meals.
We'll meet at Driftwood Kayak home base (17 Hardy's Hill Road, Deer Isle) at 8:30am. First, we'll have an orientation session where we'll practice packing kayaks with your gear. Kayaks will be loaded on the trailer for the drive to the put-in at Stonington Harbor. You'll do some on-the-water practice in sheltered water, then cross the Stonington shipping channel and head out to the Merchant islands, stopping for lunch on the way. We'll establish camp in the early afternoon on Buckle, Steve's, or Harbor Islands then spend the afternoon exploring nearby islands. In the evening, we'll do our best to cook you a mouthwatering dinner. If it's a clear night you can star-gaze, watch the sunset before nodding off to the sound of the water lapping on the beach.
After a nourishing breakfast, we'll break camp and head south to one of islands closer to Isle au Haut. We'll establish our second campsite and from there we'll explore the western side of Isle au Haut. In the afternoon you may also want to look for a secluded beach for some sunbathing or beachcombing or we can explore one or more of the islands on foot. Alternatively, in the afternoon you can just chill out at the campsite. And we'll have another fantastic dinner.
This will be our longest paddling day where, depending on wind and currents, we can explore the eastern side of Isle au Haut. We'll pack a lunch and plan on being back at the campsite by late afternoon ready for dinner.
Our last breakfast! - then we break camp. In the morning, you may want to perfect your paddling technique - learn how to do a stern rudder, practice your on-the water navigation skills, do a deep-water rescue or learn how to roll your boat - there'll be time for that. We'll make our way back to Stonington through the Merchant Islands stopping at a local fresh-water watering hole for a swim. We'll sit down for a late lunch of fish and chips (or similar) at a local restaurant in Stonington.
What we provide
- pre-trip Information Package which tells you what you'll need to bring including recommended clothing.
- transportation to and from the put-in.
- meals and snacks starting with lunch on the first day through to lunch on the final day, though you're welcome to bring along your own supply of extra snacks.
- lunch on the final day will be at a local restaurant - fish and chips or similar.
- tents, and all camping gear - cooking equipment, tarps, lamps etc - all except sleeping bags and sleeping pads. If you'd like to rent a sleeping bag and a pad, let us know (sleeping bags will of course be freshly laundered).
- sea kayaks, paddles, PFDs (life vests), spray skirts and dry bags.
- shortie wetsuits are available for rent at nominal cost.
- safety equipment and communication equipment, permits and / or approvals for overnight camping.
- on-the water photos of your trip at no extra cost.
- Maine state taxes are included.
- four days with a professional Maine Guide who has over five years kayaking experience in the region you'll be paddling.
4-Day - $700/person.
Please read and sign a confidential Medical Questionnaire and Liability Release Form prior to departure. You should do this online when you book your trip. Just click here for an online Form.